Close Menu
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    MEA Newsnet: Connecting Middle East and African news.MEA Newsnet: Connecting Middle East and African news.
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    MEA Newsnet: Connecting Middle East and African news.MEA Newsnet: Connecting Middle East and African news.
    Home » Ethiopia floods and landslides raise death toll to 70
    News

    Ethiopia floods and landslides raise death toll to 70

    March 13, 2026
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    ARBA MINCH: The death toll from floods and landslides in southern Ethiopia’s Gamo Zone has risen to 70, according to official reports issued on Friday, as rescue teams and residents searched muddy slopes and riverbanks for victims after days of heavy rainfall. Authorities said more than 120 people were still unaccounted for in several districts, underscoring the scale of the disaster in a densely populated, mountainous area where homes and footpaths were swept away or buried.

    Ethiopia floods and landslides raise death toll to 70
    Floods and landslides in Ethiopia’s Gamo Zone drive an urgent search for the missing. (Representative image)

    The landslides and flooding struck multiple districts in the South Ethiopia Region after a week of intense rain loosened soil in highland areas and sent torrents through valleys. Local disaster-response officials said the worst-hit areas included Gacho Baba, Kamba and Bonke districts, where mud and debris engulfed homes and farmland. Many of those killed were found under thick layers of mud, officials said, while the full extent of damage to households and local infrastructure was still being assessed.

    Regional police said Thursday that 64 bodies had been recovered and that 128 people were missing, figures based on reports from affected communities and early search operations. A local disaster-response director separately put the number of missing at 125. Officials said at least one person was pulled alive from the mud during a rescue effort, while access to some locations remained difficult because roads were blocked and transport routes were disrupted by debris.

    Emergency response and aid

    The federal Government Communication Service said senior federal and regional officials were deployed to oversee emergency operations and coordinate assistance in the affected districts. Authorities said relief efforts focused on search operations, medical support for survivors, and the provision of food and basic supplies for families displaced by the flooding and landslides. Local administrators also reported using heavy machinery to clear mud-clogged roads so emergency teams could reach hillside communities that had been cut off.

    South Ethiopia’s regional leadership issued condolences for those killed and called on residents in vulnerable areas to move to higher ground as rainfall continued in parts of the zone. Officials said the disaster had forced families to leave homes in steep or flood-prone locations, with temporary shelter arrangements being organized in safer areas. Local offices said community members joined responders in digging through mud and debris, and in helping to transport the injured to health facilities.

    A deadly pattern in the highlands

    Landslides and flash floods are a recurrent hazard in Ethiopia during periods of heavy rain, particularly in steep highland terrain where saturated soil can fail suddenly. Disaster officials said the Gamo Zone’s rugged landscape and scattered settlements complicate rescue operations when access roads collapse or are covered by mud. In July 2024, a major mudslide in southern Ethiopia killed hundreds of people, highlighting longstanding risks in the region during the rainy season.

    Officials said the latest disaster affected four districts and left extensive physical damage alongside the human toll, with debris blocking routes used for daily travel and for moving goods to market. Rescue and recovery operations continued as authorities worked to verify lists of the missing and to deliver aid to isolated communities, while updated casualty figures were compiled from district reports and field teams – By Content Syndication Services.

    Related Posts

    Residents in Indonesia felt a 6.1 magnitude earthquake near South Nias

    August 19, 2026

    Health Authorities Warn of Unprecedented Ebola Death Toll in DRC, Surpassing 2,300 Fatalities

    August 17, 2026

    Residents in Gilgit-Baltistan Experience Strong Shake from 5.4 Magnitude Earthquake Near Sost

    August 14, 2026

    Empowering Youth Worldwide: Key Messages from International Youth Day 2026

    August 13, 2026

    Legal Challenges Mount for Meta and TikTok as Youth Addiction Lawsuits Advance in Court

    August 12, 2026

    Public Alert: Inland Movement of Typhoon Dolphin After Large-Scale Evacuations in China

    August 11, 2026
    Latest News

    Egyptians considering the implications of the central bank’s steady interest rate policy

    August 21, 2026

    Health Officials in DR Congo Secure 70,000 Doses to Combat Ebola Surge for Public Safety

    August 21, 2026

    Investors and Analysts Focus on Japan’s Record-Breaking Trade Data in July 2026

    August 21, 2026

    Investors React Positively as Yields Drop and Healthcare Stocks Lead Gains

    August 20, 2026

    Health Authorities Urge Increased Support as Congo Ebola Cases Surpass 5,000 Milestone

    August 19, 2026

    Residents in Indonesia felt a 6.1 magnitude earthquake near South Nias

    August 19, 2026

    Health Officials Warn of Near 30,000 Deaths from Malaria in DRC Amidst 26 Million Cases

    August 17, 2026

    Health Authorities Warn of Unprecedented Ebola Death Toll in DRC, Surpassing 2,300 Fatalities

    August 17, 2026
    © 2026 MEA Newsnet | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.